Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:30 – 16:30 GMT
Tortworth estate office, Tortworth, Wooten-under-Edge, GL12 8HF United Kingdom
Tutor: Jim Mulholland
More info and to book a ticket visit Eventbrite.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Describe the need for survey.
- Identify Potential Roost Features.
- Use basic tree knowledge to inform tree assessments.
- Undertake a systematic assessment.
- Record findings to inform further surveys.
This one-day course will introduce Preliminary Ground Level Roost Assessments of trees. Participants will develop the skills required to assess trees for bats. The course will be delivered at an beginner level and will include:
- An introduction to how and which bats use trees.
- How potential roost features form.
- How to undertake a systematic survey.
- What to record, and how this information will be used when if surveys continue.
The course will be delivered through a mix of classroom presentations and fieldwork (to include assessments of known roost trees).
About the tutor
Jim Mulholland is an ecologist and arboriculturist, specialising in bats and veteran tree management. He is an active researcher and is currently working to improve how we survey trees for bats. A regular speaker at conferences, Jim is an accomplished public speaker and has been involved in training development and delivery for over 10 years. During this time, Jim has delivered training courses on behalf of CIEEM, TCV, Wildlife Trusts, Ancient Tree Forum and Arboricultural Association.
What to bring:
Lunch & water (tea and coffee will be provided during the mornings classroom session).• Binoculars
- GPS device (if you have one)
- Measuring Tapes – linear and diameter (if you have them)
- Height measuring device (if you have one)
- Something to record notes with
- Clothing / footwear – please wear appropriate clothing for fieldwork. The terrain is flat.
Please arrive with clean footwear.
Field sessions will be held a short car trip from the classroom.
This course will introduce the topic of assessing trees for bats. A basic knowledge of UK bat species and ecology is beneficial.
Desirable – Bat Roosts in Trees – https://pelagicpublishing.com/products/bat-roosts-in-trees-bat-tree-habitat-key